Family Advent Guide
Advent begins November 28
A holiday resource for all ages!
At Calvary, we want families of all kinds to know and share the love of Jesus Christ. We strive to equip and encourage parents to build strong Christ-centered homes, sharing the love of God, the truth of the Gospel, and a life of faith with the next generation.
Join us for opportunities to support and strengthen relationships, marriages, and families at all stages of life!
Family Transitions: These sessions are designed to help you teach and guide your children through different stages in life. It's practical insights with a strong biblical foundation!
Family Milestones: Celebrate life's moments of commitment — find out more about weddings, child dedication, and baptism here.
Family Advent Guide
Advent begins Sunday, November 28
Hope, love, joy, and peace are good gifts God has given to us! During Advent, we celebrate Jesus coming to earth as a baby, making the way for these gifts to be experienced. Our prayer is that your family can use this guide to celebrate Jesus’ birth in a meaningful way.
Use the family devotions and activities below to guide your Family Night time through the month of December. Download the PDF guide below. It includes one lesson for each week of Advent, plus one for Christmas Day!
Start by opening your Bibles together as a family and reading the suggested verses. Then use the Explain section to lead your family to talk about the passages. Pray together as a family. If time allows, have each family member participate in the Family Activity, and then Sing a Christmas carol together. Use the Further Bible Reading verses for family Bible reading throughout the week.
Use these devotions, activities, and worship songs to help your family worship Jesus this Christmas. He is the gift we proclaim. Let’s celebrate!
© LifeWay Kids 2021. LifeWay Christian Resources. All rights reversed. Used by permission.
Operation Christmas Child
Calvary is a Community Drop-off Center
Bring your shoeboxes!
Good News. Great Joy! A small shoebox can teach a child about the love of God, lead them to faith in Christ, inspire pastors, and plant new churches. What goes into the box is fun, but what comes out is eternal. You can shine the light of the Gospel around the world through the power of a simple gift!
Operation Christmas Child delivers gifts to children across the globe — reaching those suffering from a natural disaster, disease, war, terrorism, poverty, and famine. Each box contains gifts, toys, and hygiene items, plus a Gospel storybook in the child’s own language.
Shoeboxes are now available at tables in the Galleria.
- How to Pack a Shoebox
Get updated tips on what to pack (and what NOT to pack) in your shoebox. Then, drop off filled and labeled boxes on the racks in the Galleria.
TRADITIONAL BOX INSTRUCTIONS
- Pack a Shoebox ONLINE
For $25, you can pack and send a shoebox customized for a boy or girl with toys and gifts you select. Check it out!
Pack a Shoebox as a Family
Get ideas and resources to have a fun and meaningful shoebox packing activity with your family!
Calvary is a Community Drop-off Center
During National Collection Week, November 15–22, Calvary will serve as a shoebox drop-off location for our community. Drop off boxes under the portico at the main entrance.
Mon–Fri: 12:00–4:00 PM
Sat & Sun: 1:00–5:00 PM
Calvary Night at OCC
Tuesday, November 30, 5:45–10:00 PM
“Calvary Night” at the OCC Distribution Center is an annual serving opportunity for adults and teens age 13+. REGISTER NOW
Did you know that Samaritan’s Purse partnered with Calvary to fill and deliver the very first shoeboxes to children in Bosnia in 1993? What a privilege to see how the Lord has grown the ministry and used it to share the Gospel with millions of children! Read the full article on the Samaritan’s Purse website.
- How to Pack a Shoebox
Adoption, Fostering & Orphan CareCalvary HOME Ministry seeks to obey God’s Word by ministering to fatherless, orphaned, and vulnerable children (James 1:27).Our ministry focus areas are:
- Awareness and training
- Support for adoptive and foster families
- Direct support for children in need
If you would like to help or are considering adopting or fostering a child, please contact our coordinators below. We would love the opportunity to be a resource for you!
- HOME Ministry: Hugh Grey, 704.619.8116, email@example.com or Mike Malone, 574.607.1619, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Adoption/Orphan Care: Kody Krady, 704.941.4974, email@example.com
- Adoption Grant Application: Sandy O'Donovan, 704.341.5323, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Foster Care: Sarah Noell, 704.763.1173, email@example.com
Calvary has established an Adoption Assistance Fund to provide financial aid to qualified Calvary members who apply during their adoption process. To request an application, contact Sandy O'Donovan at 704.341.5323 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions should be forwarded to Mike Malone at 574.607.1619 or email@example.com.
Family Night Challenge
Enjoy a regular Family Night!
Calvary highly recommends that every family designate one night a week for Family Night. Life is busy, and if we don’t plan to spend time together and enjoy each other, our most important relationships can be neglected.
Planning one night each week is valuable for the time and interaction itself. It also helps us refocus on those important relationships. It takes work to block out the same night every week. No doubt, an exception may have to be made from time to time, but you show your priorities when you are able to make it happen consistently. We find that most families really look forward to Family Night!
So, what is Family Night? We suggest that you choose a consistent night each week and plan to include these elements:
- Dinner — Have a fun dinner together! Let the kids contribute their ideas about favorite foods for the menu.
- Clean up — After dinner, clean the kitchen together. You’re a team, and everyone can contribute to the job!
- Devotions — Have a family devotional. Read Scripture together and discuss its meaning. Pray together and for each other. And if you are really adventurous, sing a favorite chorus or hymn.
- Fun — Participate in some kind of fun activity. It could be a board game. If your kids like to make crafts or build things, go in that direction. The point is to enjoy each other and laugh together. Relationships are vital in leading your children. Laughter and fun deepen these relationships!
- Dessert — Eat dessert! You can work together to make a fruit salad, chocolate chip cookies, or whatever treat your family enjoys.
You have accomplished a number of important things when you become intentional with Family Night:
- You spend time together building relationships and staying connected.
- You instruct your kids with God’s Word.
- You pray — thanking God for His goodness and asking for His guidance and provision.
- You build heart connections by sharing and laughing together.
- On a weekly basis, you put in place some important experiences that drive the rest of the week. And really the rest of your parenting!
"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise." — Deuteronomy 6:5–7
Estate Design Seminars
Preparing your family plans
When preparing financial plans, it is important to consider both the current and eternal perspectives. Calvary Estate Design Seminars are focused on future planning and key components of estate design in light of God's Word. In addition to addressing typical concerns, you will be invited to ask yourself — what would the Lord have me do? Objectives include:
- Strengthening — not straining — family relationships
- Taking an all-encompassing approach
- Care and guardianship of minor children
- Avoiding negative impacts on beneficiaries
- Tax considerations
- Achieving the greatest Kingdom impact
There is NO cost for the seminar, and the process is confidential. You’ll benefit no matter your stage of life — whether you’re starting a family or reviewing plans as an empty nester. Either update your current will and estate plans or get started now!
Our Estate Design Seminars are typically offered twice each year with afternoon and evening sessions. Please check back for the next seminar or contact Carl Austin for more information.
"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." — 2 Corinthians 4:18
Calvary Stewardship Ministry is focused on helping individuals and families approach day-to-day finance and milestone life events with a smart and biblical foundation through classes, seminars, and confidential individual/family counseling.
Contact: Carl Austin, Director of Finance, 704.341.5346, firstname.lastname@example.org