Family Night Challenge
Begin a regular Family Night
At Calvary, we want families of all kinds to know and share the love of Jesus Christ. We strive to equip and encourage parents to build strong Christ-centered homes, sharing the love of God, the truth of the Gospel, and a life of faith with the next generation.
Join us for opportunities to support and strengthen relationships, marriages, and families at all stages of life!
Family Transitions: These sessions are designed to help you teach and guide your children through different stages in life. It's practical insight with a strong biblical foundation!
Family Milestones: Celebrate life's moments of commitment — find out more about weddings, child dedication, and baptism here.
Family Night Challenge
Calvary highly recommends that every family designate one night a week for Family Night. Life is busy, and if we don’t plan to spend time together and enjoy each other, our most important relationships can be neglected.
Planning one night each week is valuable for the time and interaction itself. It also helps us refocus on those important relationships. It takes work to block out the same night every week. No doubt, an exception may have to be made from time to time, but you show your priorities when you are able to make it happen consistently. We find that most families really look forward to Family Night!
So, what is Family Night? We suggest that you choose a consistent night each week and plan to include these elements:
- Dinner — Have a fun dinner together! Let the kids contribute their ideas about favorite foods for the menu.
- Clean up — After dinner, clean the kitchen together. You’re a team, and everyone can contribute to the job!
- Devotions — Have a family devotional. Read Scripture together and discuss its meaning. Pray together and for each other. And if you are really adventurous, sing a favorite chorus or hymn.
- Fun — Participate in some kind of fun activity. It could be a board game. If your kids like to make crafts or build things, go that direction. The point is to enjoy each other and laugh together. Relationships are vital in leading your children. Laughter and fun deepen these relationships!
- Dessert — Eat dessert! You can work together to make a fruit salad, chocolate chip cookies, or whatever treat your family enjoys.
You have accomplished a number of important things when you become intentional with Family Night:
- You spend time together building relationships and staying connected.
- You instruct your kids with God’s Word.
- You pray — thanking God for His goodness and asking for His guidance and provision.
- You build heart connections by sharing and laughing together.
- On a weekly basis, you put in place some important experiences that drive the rest of the week. And really the rest of your parenting!
Calvary provides several resources that can help with your devotional time. Some great conversations can come out of what you are leading your kids to learn!
- Sunday Spotlight — a summary of the Children's Ministry Sunday lesson for all ages
- Family Connection — the Bible lesson for Middle School Sunday life groups
- We Believe — the summer catechism project for kids & families (grades 3–5)
"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise." — Deuteronomy 6:5–7
New summer resource for kids & families
Calvary is providing a NEW RESOURCE to help parents teach their kids sound doctrine through catechism.
We Believe: Catechism for Calvary Kids & Families is based on our 16 Articles of Faith and provides questions and answers to learn the key biblical truths we believe. This summer project is for families with children currently completing grades 3–5.
Catechism is a summary of key doctrines learned through questions and answers!
So, how do you do catechism?
Catechism simply provides an interactive activity that helps us learn and remember the major truths of Scripture in our hearts and minds. Begin with the first section of the Student Handbook. Read over the questions and answers with your child and then quiz them. Do this consistently for a number of days until they can recite all the right answers. After they have learned one section, proceed to the next. Review what they have already learned each week. Kids typically love the interaction and the challenge! Make it fun with Family Night activities (see the Parent Handbook for those how-tos)!
Celebrating your accomplishment
After your child has completed all 16 catechism sections at home, make an appointment by August 31 with a Calvary pastor, Children's Ministry leader, or your child's Zone 345 teacher to approve the work your child has accomplished. Once your child has successfully recited the answers, you will receive an invitation to the celebration family lunch in September. Your child will also receive a special gift to mark his/her accomplishment!
- June – Catechism books available! Begin learning the Q&A
- August – Present your catechism work to a pastor or ministry leader by August 31
- September – Enjoy a special celebration lunch on Sunday, September 8 for kids and families who have completed the catechism
Click on the book covers to browse or download the digital versions of the We Believe: Catechism for Calvary Kids & Families Student Handbook and the Parent Handbook!
Family Vacation Bible School
June 24–28 | 6:30–8:30 PM
Camp Frenzy: It's VBS Family-Style!
June 24–28 | 6:30–8:30 PM, Sports Fields
This summer, VBS is a fun-filled week for the whole family!
Incorporating all the high-energy games, worship music, Bible lessons, snacks, and fun that kids look forward to every summer at Calvary, our evening family VBS format offers more opportunities for everyone to come!
Lessons and activities will be geared toward grade school kids, but the whole family will enjoy the fun!
In the frenzy of our busy lives, it's important to discover the joy and peace that can be found when families spend time together talking, playing, and learning about Jesus and His Word.
Enrollment for VBS is now closed. Thank you to all the families that have registered! We'll be in touch!
Host an Orphan this Summer
Sponsor school-aged children
June – August
What if a summer “missions trip” could happen in your very own home? Calvary families have the unique opportunity to host orphaned, school-aged children who long to learn about Jesus and experience His love.
Calvary HOME Ministry is partnering with New Horizons for Children to offer children from Eastern Europe first-hand experiences with positive family relationships, spiritual nurturing, healthy hygiene, American culture, and immersion in the English language. This is an exciting opportunity for the children to hear the Gospel — they have a Heavenly Father who loves them dearly and is waiting to adopt them into His eternal family!
Will you prayerfully consider hosting a child for six weeks (late-June to early–August) this summer?
How you can help:
• Host a child
• Sponsor a child
• Plan a group activity
• Become a prayer partner
Host family applications and deposits/sponsorships will be accepted through April; children will arrive in June.
Estimated cost per child: $2,950
Contact: Debbie Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org